Student Financials Workgroup Meeting
December 15, 2004
9:00 AM -- 2:00 PM
- Linda Silver welcomed everyone and each person
introduced themselves, their college, their role and why they wanted
to join the workgroup.
- Annette Sherrill agreed to take meeting notes.
- Linda reviewed the group’s initial objectives:
- To identify business processes that could
become common business processes that all colleges could use.
- To document these processes in version 8
- To identify issues and propose solutions, with
the focus on how these can be handled in version 8
- The group discussed these goals and agreed on
- The goal is to not to document all
PeopleSoft-delivered processes, but to document those that have been
customized and are being converted into common processes.
- In addition to common documentation for
business processes, there should be common SF Table Setups.
- The group will use existing documentation from
version 7.6 as the basis for discussions in order to identify
differences in table setups and processes. These differences will be
discussed at the workgroup meetings for the purpose of
standardization. The group will also review and take into
consideration any changes in version 8 functionality.
- The same template used to document SF Table
Setups in version 7.6 will be used to document SF Table Setups in
version 8.0, but a new ‘why’ section will be added to explain the
reason the values were chosen.
- The same template (created by the Financial
Aid workgroup) will be used to document SF business processes.
This information will be copied into UPK (User Productivity Tool)
for user training.
- The group identified SF Table Setups that are
maintained by the System Office. Linda will ask Roy Smith if he
would review and update documentation for version 8.0 for these
- Top priority for the group to review, discuss
and document will be:
- Student Financials Self-Service,
- SF Table Setups (those tables that colleges
have choices on how they are setup) and
- Interpreting Account Summary.
- The group will try to keep in mind the need to
make sure that processes that cross subject areas are reviewed,
discussed and documented.
- Concern was voiced that some college staff
need help in learning how to read and understand the Account Summary
inquiry pages and that cross-training is needed in this area.
- A shared network directory – ‘ps8sfbp on UT21’ -
has been created for the workgroup to share documents, notes, etc.
All members will have access. Linda asked members to please email
their network ID and domain so that access can be granted.
- There was concern about whether College
Presidents have agreed with the idea of standardizing business
processes and how do we get buy-in from all colleges. Marcia Webb
advised the group that Neil Matkin, Vice-Chancellor for ITS, has been
communicating with the college presidents to help them understand the
need for this and that he and the Chancellor support this approach.
- The group reviewed the initial list of SF
business processes and added the following processes to the list:
- Inquire Customer Accounts
- Web Payments – Clean up and Reconciliation
- IVR – Reconciliation
- FACTS payment plans
- Payment Applier
- Table Validation
- Cashiering – Void payments and End of day
- Term Setup and Rollover
- Add Charges to Quick Post Payments & Refunds
- A common comment that some colleges receive from
students is that they didn’t know that reducing course workload would
reduce their Financial Aid. Marla asked if this had been improved in
version 8. Marcia suggested that Kathy Camper be invited to give an
update at the next workgroup meeting.
- There was concern about whether the work this
group is doing will duplicate the work the being done by the Student
Financials User Group. The group did not believe this would be the
case since this group will meet regularly and would be considered a
‘work’ group. The Student Financials Users Group is viewed more as a
policy-setting group, since they only meet a few times a year.
- Linda asked for volunteers to document Student
Financials Self-Service processes in version 8. Several members
voiced reluctance to volunteer until they get approval from their
manager. Marcia said there would be a communication to college
presidents making them aware that we were asking for help from
colleges to volunteer to work on tasks for the workgroups. In
addition to this workgroup, Kathy Camper is leading the Financial Aid
workgroup and Kathy Harcum is leading the Student Records and
- The group reviewed the list of customized
reports that colleges had posted on the website created by Misty
Coles. There were 2 reports: Student Bills and Third Party Bills that
many colleges had customized, using the sqr program written by Bob
Whitney. Kathy Vessey offered to share their version of the program,
along with several others (Student Receipt, Ciber Register Report,
Student Enrollment Summary and Payment Distribution Report)
- Jeff Mitchell gave a presentation on UPK (User
Productivity Kit tool) that will be used to develop user training.
Kathy Rhea is leading the development of user training materials in
UPK for Student Self-Service modules. There will be UPK developer
training beginning January 10 for 3 weeks.
- Patti Hathaway, Marion Wilkinson and Gilbert
Armour agreed to attend the first 3 days of UPK developer training
on behalf of the SF workgroup to learn how the tool is used.
- Sherry Headley, Marla Whiteside, Myra Maiorana
and John Thornburg have agreed (tentatively) to be subject matter
experts during the remaining time.
- It was agreed that Student Self Service,
inquiring on Self Service transactions and interpreting student
accounts be documented first in UPK.
- Rik, Linda and Annette will discuss how we can
best utilize the 3 seats we have during the 3-week UPK developer
training and advise everyone at the next workgroup meeting.
- Rik Gillette spoke about the Version 8 testing –
so far testing is going well. There have been several items noted
that need to be looked at but nothing major.
- Linda spoke about the status of the Version 8
Upgrade project. The second test move is currently in progress.
Colleges were advised of the importance of running the SF Table
Validation process and were requested to start running it now in
production at least once a week in order to reduce the amount of data
cleanup that has been experienced during each test move to version 8.
Linda stressed the impact it will have on the upgrade if this data is
not cleaned up by each college.
- Members will email Linda their network ID and
domain so that access can be granted to the shared network directory
for the workgroup.
- Linda will ask Roy Smith if he would update
documentation for version 8 for the SF Table Setups maintained by
- Linda will copy all SF Table Setup version 7.6
documentation to the shared directory (ps8sfbp on
ut21/Documentation/7.6). Everyone will review these and compare it
to their table setup and be prepared to discuss at the next meeting.
- Bob Whitney will look at the student billing
in version 8
- Kathy Vessey will post sqrs and output for
Student Receipt, Ciber Register Report, Student Enrollment Summary
and Payment Distribution Report on VCCS Discuss. Everyone will
review these to determine if they could use them instead of their
current customized report and come prepared to discuss at the next
- Myra Maiorana will document new tables in v.8
such as the SF Merchant ID table
- Rik Gillette will grant everyone in the SF
workgroup access to S80DEVL version 8 application so they can start
looking at differences.
- Linda will invite Kathy Camper to attend the
next meeting to give an update on anticipated aid and Misty Coles to
discuss queries being migrated from 7.6 to 8.
The next SF workgroup meeting will be held on
Wednesday, December 15 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at Greenfield (depending
on availability). Meeting details will be sent to everyone.